If you follow ecommerce in China you’ve probably heard the word daigou. A Daigou is a grey market agent who helps people purchase products from other countries and ships them back to China. Today we’re going to talk to Tom Shanahan, known to his fans as “Aussie dad Tom”, who, has created a booming daigou business by turning his social media followers into loyal customers. Over the last four months since he started the business he has generate pretty significant revenue. We go into detail during our chat and tom even shares specific numbers.
*Note: Numbers mentioned during podcast are RMB, not AUD.
What’s most impressive is that Tom has done all this with a relatively small following of about 40,000 fans.
Recently he was invited to attend the 2017 Alibaba ecommerce summit in Australia as an influencer and daigou expert. During the event he had the opportunity to participate in a live stream with the Victorian minister of innovation and Small Business as well as the head of Alibaba Australia.
For anyone interested in how the daigou business works, you’ve got to listen to this episode.
In addition to running his daigou business, tom is also starting to work with Chinese businesses and tourism boards, creating content which simultaneously promotes travel and local Australian products.
Guest: Tom Shanahan
Host: Lauren Hallanan
- Website: laurenhallanan.com
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lauren-hallanan/
- Instagram: @laurenleren
Articles on the Daigou Industry:
- We take you inside the Chinese ‘daigou’ craze
- MEET SHOPSHOPS, AN INTERACTIVE, ONLINE RETAIL EXPERIENCE FOR FASHION-SAVVY CHINESE CONSUMERS
- THE DAIGOU EFFECT: HOW BRANDS CAN BREAK DOWN CHINESE BORDERS AND DRIVE GROWTH
- Korean Duty-Free Shop Sales Increase Due to Illegal Daigou Shoppers
If you like this podcast and know someone who might find it interesting, please share!